Dear American
Friends,
This must be one
of the hardest things I’ve done since I left Sweden in August of 2010, to come
live here. I left my family, I left my friends, I left everything I knew to
study abroad for a year. I came here as a pretty scared girl that knew English,
but did not understand half of what “y’all wer’ talkin’ ‘bout” with that
southern draw most of you have. I’m leaving you as a young woman that kinda
have that southern twang going on from time to time. I came as a cellist, and
I’m leaving as a singer.
Being in America
has taught me the importance of family, because here in the south, family
matters. Family comes first. And that might be good or bad depending on how you
see it, but it has taught me to appreciate my family more.
Being in America
has taught me that there is absolutely nothing wrong with loving your country.
It has taught me that it is okay to say that you’re good at something. “Yes, I
am good at singing” is nothing that would come out of my mouth before I came
here. America has taught me to love fried chicken. Ranch dressing. TACO BELL.
Febreeze.
Now I might take
on a kind of comical voice, but I mean every single word written in this
letter. It is hard leaving the people you love. It is hard not knowing when I
will see you again. It is hard. Lots and lots of tears have been shed while
attempting to write this.
I’m now leaving my
American family, my American friends, and all I know about America to study in
Sweden, also known as “home”. But I want you to know this, that thanks to you,
and I mean every single one of you, America will forever be home to me. It will
be my second home, because I believe that wherever you have people that you
care about, and they care about you back, is home. Home is where your heart is.
And my heart is spread all over the place, a piece here, a piece there.
At last, I just
want to tell you all something. Nike is right when they say “Just do it!”
Do you want to
become an astronaut? Win a tony-award? Go to Paris? See the pyramids? Skate in
Charleston? JUST DO IT. You might fall and bruise your knees, you might lie in
bed crying for two hours not knowing if you’re ever going to be able to get up.
You might be so far away from everything you are familiar with and hyperventilate
and think to yourself “this is how I die. How pathetic.”
But guess what?
You can do it. You can go through with it. And how do a young woman from Sweden
know, you might ask?
-Because I’ve been
there. I’ve been in that bed, telling myself this is it. I’m quitting. I’ve
bruised my knees, my heart, my everything. And you know what? I’m alive. And
I’m not strong, but I’m alive and I constantly meet people that I like and want
to keep as my friends.
Be brave. Take
chances. And take care of the people you love. Because love conquers all.
With love and
gratitude,
Mathilde
Ps. I’ll be back.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting, I love to hear your thoughts on my posts :)
If you press the "notify me" button in the bottom right corner you'll get an email with my response.