Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

...is missing a piano

I was sitting in my room tonight listening to some music when this sudden urge to play the piano came over me. My fingers are craving some cold piano keys to press down and create wonderful sounds.  I think that's what I miss the most about living here in Stockholm. A piano. Because I have always been able to go play a piano either in my home, or very close to where I live. The piano pictured above stood in my room during the years I went to high school. I think I played it almost every afternoon after school. Sometimes my best friend Emma would come with me and we'd write silly songs and sing together. Then when I moved to the folk school in Härnösand to study the cello, we had about 10 practice rooms that were open from 7 am to 11 pm. I could just go there whenever I felt like it. Same thing happened when I studied music in the States. But there it was even better. I had access to practice rooms 24/7. It was lovely, and I played late late at night when everyone else had gone to bed. I could sing and play as loud as I wanted and nobody cared. It was truly amazing.

Then I moved back home to Sweden, and I stayed with dad and Annica who owns this wonderful square piano that I've totally fallen in love with. The sound and the lightness and narrowness of the keys makes it truly a fantastic instrument. Some days I miss this piano so much it's almost ridiculous.. 

Today is one of those days that I miss a piano no matter what kind. I would be perfectly satisfied with an electrical one (which I normally detest). My fingers are just in need of creating something that will only exist as long as i press down the keys, my voice is in need of singing something that doesn't demand a focused brain to tell the muscles what to do (which is what happens when I practice opera). I want to find melodies to those words I write late at night when I cannot sleep. 

But not today, and probably not tomorrow. But soon, I hope, I will be able to have a piano again so I can release the creativity beast that lives within me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love to hear your thoughts on my posts :)

If you press the "notify me" button in the bottom right corner you'll get an email with my response.