Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

...is baking broccoli water bread (aka water recycling)

DSC09221 Welcome to my bathroom. And my kitchen sink. I live in the cutest little cottage ever, and it's only flaw is that there is no proper kitchen in it. So I wash my dishes in two big plastic tubs that stays on top of a chest of drawers. This works very well for me, but living the way I am, with only one sink (and not even a proper kitchen one), I've come to realize the extreme amount of water we use for our dishes and our cooking these days. Since I have to actually walk from my kitchen to the bathroom to fetch and pour out water, I now think differently about my use of this precious liquid.

The other day as I was boiling broccoli to eat with my dinner, I felt like it was such a waste throwing away the water afterwards. I mean, it was just water that had been heated up and had some tiny broccoli pieces in it. I asked Katie - whom I was skyping at the time - if she knew what I could do with it and after a quick "googling around" she found that it could be used for many things. The ones I remembered were 1. watering plants and 2. baking bread.

I didn't feel like baking bread that day, so I put the water in a plastic bottle and threw it in the freezer.

DSC09233 Tonight when I came home from work, I felt the urge to try my tiny baby oven and use that water I put in the freezer. So I took out the frozen water and thawed it in the microwave while I looked up a basic bread recipe. Instead of using milk like I've normally done, I heated up the broccoli water to body temperature and used it to make my little yeast happy. And look how nice it turned out! The bread tastes really good (like most home made bread does), and it feels very good to eat it too since I know I used that water to something good. So it's good for my tight budget AND the environment. Win-Win situation, I'd say.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love to hear your thoughts on my posts :)

If you press the "notify me" button in the bottom right corner you'll get an email with my response.